Monday, September 10, 2012

11th Anniversary of 9/11

This video shared by my friend Nicole Pica is very real and a good tribute to all those who lost there lives on that fateful day 11 years ago. I had dropped my son, Shon Graden off at school and dropped by a friends house as he had some dress clothes for me and as I walked into his home, he said, "look at this" and as I sat down, they second plane flew into the other tower. This was no mistake or a plane off course, this was a planned attack... 
I had intended to begin a job hunt that day as on Friday, I tendered my resignation to the company that I was working for at the time. But my plans were changed as I spent the next two weeks, in-grossed in all the news coverage.
My friend from my radio days, Shawn Balint says it well in his post,

"9/11 was awful, even someone like myself who has spent 25 years profiling grim human events, almost has to tune it out because it's just so awful the way people died. It is haunting to think of the woman holding on to hope looking for her fiancee and brother at WTC but you knew almost for certain they wouldn't be found. It's easy to think well the victims suffering ended 11 years ago. That is such a shortsighted way to look at it. Killing the nearly 3000 victims has meant many brides were walked down the aisle by someone else with her wedding day tears far from just tears of joy. I can only imagine a young boy hitting a walkoff homer in little league and it was second nature for him to look at the spot in the bleachers where his dad would always sit and suddenly the smile was gone because he forgot for just a moment that his dad was taken before a worldwide audience, one of the 343. Those who lost someone may not be able to watch a pre 2002 movie, lock up when they see an American or United Airlines commercial and the image of the Pentagon will haunt others.
Imagine the milestone birthdays and anniversaries and the empty feeling and in this era you hear people say awful things about 9/11 widows and act like getting a small seven figure payout (SO they wouldn't sue the airlines, not just a gift) makes them a gold digger. Imagine the child who never got to know their father. Family lines were cut forever. Imagine you don't have a body part to claim, that your loved ones remains are dust in a dump. You wonder how could the country with such advanced technology refused to get proactive about high rise fires and you think how awful was it for someone you love to jump a thousand feet to their death.
The gaping wounds caused by 9/11 will continue to hurt many Americans the rest of our days. Let's remember the victims, the troops and like I say with families of fallen soldiers and troops, the loved ones of the 9/11 who carry on with an empty space in their heart of the 9/11 victims."

His friend, Robert Winkelmann says, "I posted a quote earlier which summed it up in very few words:

Tonight eleven years ago 3000 people said 'Goodnight' to their families for the last time. 

It's impossible to ever forget that. It's impossible not to have a tear well up in your eye just thinking about it."


No comments:

Post a Comment